10 things to love about yoga in the winter
(Originally published Winter 2008)
- Not having to wake up quite so early to do your practice while the sun is rising.
- More time to attend workshops on the weekends when it’s not competing with yard work (understandably, gardening IS yoga for many of us…but not so much for me)
- How well our twisting postures prepare us for shoveling.
- A warm toasty studio or meditation spot on an icy cold day.
- That yoga allows us to practice impermanence. That all sensations (in this case, cold ones) pass (unless you live on the North Pole).
- Snow cancellations give us “extra” time that we can use to practice, read, meditate.
- A meditation walking through a snow storm and listening to the sounds (a kind of buffered quiet I’ve never heard elsewhere)
- Bundling up in blankets for savasana.
- Heating up your body all on your own through a vigorous practice.
- More opportunities to stay indoors and develop a home practice.
by Florian Yoga Companion Post